I must admit that I’m one of those many Filipinos who have just felt the recent affection towards football. Football fields are no show way back my school years, except during high school. We had players then but we pay more attention to the basketball league. Perhaps, we preferred covered courts than enduring under the heat of the sun. The sport, however, is often associated to the well-off pipz and this makes the game unfamiliar to the masses. We have PBA, the defunct MBA, NCAA and UAAP seen live on every TV at home and we have leagues on every barangay sports fests these truly depicts that we Filipinos are into basketball.
But everything changed when the Azkals, the Philippine National Football Team got into the limelight in 2010. That year, they qualified in the AFF Suzuki Cup, where they stayed undefeated in the group stage—beating on the defending champions Vietnam but they eventually lost to Indonesia in the semi-finals*.
What hooks me enthusiastic with the sport is the fame that the Azkals brings for the country in every international match they play. Like Manny Pacquiao’s fights, it makes us all truly proud Filipinos. The excitement and suspense is different too compared with other sports. I’ve watched their last three FIFA 2014 World Cup qualifier games live on TV but missed out the home game against Sri Lanka, where they eventually won with an aggregate score of 5-1. This time, I never wanted to miss again the home game at the Rizal Memorial Stadium--the 2nd leg of the Philippines vs Kuwait.
The tickets were immediately sold out. A bit frustrated, I immediately texted my oldest sister, Ate Joan, if she had a contact number of Dan Palami, the manager of the Azkals, since they knew each other (Kapalmuks nalang. Haha. FYI: Mr. Dan, ran as City Mayor in Tacloban last election. Unfortunately he did not make it. Kaya, madalas din ang Azkals sa Tacloban) but she had none. Luckily, I had this reunion with Athena and Lovelinne, my HS barkada (a.k.a. Alpha Tumba Lata buddies). I then asked Athena if she have tickets for the game. And she said yes and pledged to reserve me a ticket! (I knew since Mr. Dan is her boss).
Few hours before the game, I asked Athena again if there were still available tickets for my officemates. Meron nga! Hahaha.
Everyone were screaming and cheering aloud--throwing their supports for the Azkals. Azkals was everywhere in the bleachers. Printed on shirts, caps, scarfs and banners. Worn by young and adults. And the drum and bugle never stops bugling-in their instruments. Go Azklas! Go Pilipinas! were among the cheers.
I'm with Iya and Bryan. We were 15 minutes late because of them (tumakas sa training! lols!). And with Ken, who came all the way from Batangas just to see Neil (my cousin--on my mother's side. I am Dula too). She's a die-hard fan actually.
Minutes before the 2nd half, Stephen Shrock stormed the whole arena when he scored a goal! You should have seen how the people wallowed in delight. And I almost slipped off down in the bleacher!! Haha. That was embarrassing. Di ako tinulungan agad ng mga kasama--ang sasama!. I just hope no one got a video on that.
T'was an overwhelming experience! The Filipino spirit was soo much alive that everyone went felicitously crazy!!
The showery weather did not stop us to witness the event live--we have our powerful kapotes! hahaha.
However, Kuwaitis scored 2 goals in the next half with an aggregate score of 5-1. This ended the Azkals' dream to qualify for the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil.
A bit hurtful but it made us all stand and proud. We knew that the Azkals made their best to overhaul the score against Kuwait. But it doesn't end there at all. With the downpour of supporters on the sport and to the Azkals, surely the booming love on football will continue to lush and will make the Philippines not only a basketball country but a football nation as well. Go Azkals! Go Pilipinas!!
By the way, now I often tune in with ESPN, STAR sports and Eurosports. haha.
T'was an overwhelming experience! The Filipino spirit was soo much alive that everyone went felicitously crazy!!
The showery weather did not stop us to witness the event live--we have our powerful kapotes! hahaha.
However, Kuwaitis scored 2 goals in the next half with an aggregate score of 5-1. This ended the Azkals' dream to qualify for the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil.
A bit hurtful but it made us all stand and proud. We knew that the Azkals made their best to overhaul the score against Kuwait. But it doesn't end there at all. With the downpour of supporters on the sport and to the Azkals, surely the booming love on football will continue to lush and will make the Philippines not only a basketball country but a football nation as well. Go Azkals! Go Pilipinas!!
By the way, now I often tune in with ESPN, STAR sports and Eurosports. haha.
***
By the way, I made mention about my reunion with my friends. Since we also love basketball, I should likewise post these shots:
Yeah. That's James Yap and Mark Pingris. We're lucky to bumped them in the main entrance at the big dome. They just finished practicing for the PBA-NBA All Star on that day.
Nag-rock 'n roll sign ang gags! Kala mo rock star si james yap! Hindi ba? Hahaha.
*Source: Wikipedia.org










1 comments:
dapat pinost mu din ung pic mo with baby james! hahah! si Kris na lng ang wala mung pic!lol
Post a Comment